Lappi Lappi Dreaming Bandana
Its NAIDOC Week from 8th - 15th November here in Australia. NAIDOC originally stood for ‘National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee’. This committee was once responsible for organising national activities during NAIDOC Week and its acronym has since become the name of the week itself. Week celebrations are held across Australia each year to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. This years theme is Always Was, Always Will Be. which recognises that First Nations people have occupied and cared for this continent for over 65,000 years.
To celebrate NAIDOC Week here at Black Pepper, we have released our Indigenous Artwork Collection. The Lappi Lappi Dreaming Bandana is the artwork of Christine Napanangka Michaels, from Warlukurlangu, Artists of Yuendumu.
Christine Napanangka Michaels explains that Lappi Lappi is a rock hole near Lake Hazlett, about 90 km northwest of Lake Mackay in Western Australia. The country belongs to Nampijinpa/Jampijinpa and Nangala/Jangala groups. The rock hole at Lappi Lappi is an abundant source of water, surrounded by country rich in bush tucker. In the time of the Jukurrpa (Dreamtime) many mothers with young children would gather there because it was a safe place to stay. The rock hole at Lappi Lappi is home to a 'warnayarra', a rainbow serpent that travels underground between various rock holes. One particular day, women were gathered at the rock hole with their children, singing and dancing. When the 'warnayarra' heard the sound of voices, it travelled silently towards them, under the water. When it reached the edge of the rock hole, it rose out of the water and ate them all.
Black Pepper Dogwear acknowledges the traditional owners of the country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, culture and community. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging. To learn more about NAIDOC week visit www.naidoc.org.au
- The fabric is made of 100% Cotton Drill and the backing fabric is 100% Cotton Poplin.
- Natural cotton makes this bandana breathable during summer and pawfect for those energetic doggo activities.
- The natural fibres are gentle on your puppies skin.
- This bandana is suitable for both puppies and dogs.
- The Black Pepper fabric labels are made of 100% Polyester with up to 50% recycled yarn.
- This dog bandana is tie up, so it can be worn with or without a collar.
- The long ties make it easier to dress the more wriggly dogs that can't sit still.
- Once tied up to the right size, the bandana can easily slip on and off over the dogs/puppy's head without a fuss.
- All our bandanas are individually handmade with love and care, right here in Brisbane, Australia.
- All bandanas have an additional zig zag stitch to prevent fray and then stitched again around the outside to ensure they are sturdy for all activities.
Please see our Sizing Chart page for measurements of our bandana sizes and approximate neck measurements to assist you with finding the perfect fit for your furry furiend.
Please also view our Product Care page for cleaning instructions.